Here’s what the experts say about the award winning Purgatory Golf Club:
“Purgatory Golf Club is what every course should be, a visual experience as well as a playing challenge. It’s more heaven than hell.” – Golf Digest
“…an enchanting design, gleaned from the inspirations of legendary architects Alistair MacKenzie, George Thomas, Seth Raynor and Indiana's own Bill Diddle.
“…it’s more beauty than beast. The greens are firm and fast, but fair. A well-struck putt is rewarded. The fairways, which I strolled across during my forays into the bunkers and rough, were exceptional.” – Indianapolis Business Journal
“Purgatory is built on rolling farm land, but artful earthwork has rendered nearly every hole a world unto itself. Its most striking features are its mounding and bunkering, and the combinations in which they are presented.
“Particularly stunning is the par-three 17th, “Hell’s Half Acre.” The hilltop green appears to float in a sea of surrounding bunkers.” – Golf Magazine
“…the 125 or so bunkers give more visual punch (outlining the fairways and defining the greens) than punishment. . . there are safe routes to every green, plus six sets of tees to choose from. One of the co-owners (a woman) made sure the forward tees were built with the same loving care as the back, with the perfect one-degree fall and smart positioning. FYI: The course boasts one of the shortest sets of tees (4,562) and the longest (7,754) in Indiana. A woman's touch is also evident in the pro shop…” – Golf for Women Magazine
“Purgatory’s layout incorporates classic features and subtle tributes to some of the great course architects of all time. The most notable aspect of the design is its linksy nature, complete with ever-present fescue. . . Several greens recall classic designs and designers. For example, the green on the par-3, 197-yard 3rd hole is a genuine Redan green, running diagonally away from the tees and complete with front and back bunkers. . . The green of the 434-yard 6th hole is a Seth Rayner-style hogback, and has the most undulation per square foot I have ever seen.
“Despite the ominous name, Purgatory is a superb golfing experience. The clouds have opened over Indy almost daily this spring, yet the course was practically free of squishy spots. The greens drain better than any I have seen in the area. And the bunkers, which are filled with crushed limestone rather than sand, were immaculate – no standing water or washouts anywhere. . . The practice facilities are excellent – complete with sand and short game area.” – TravelGolf.com
Honors our course has received:
- America's Top 50 Courses for Women by Golf Digest / Golf Digest Woman, March 2010
- America's 100 Greatest Public Courses by Golf Digest Magazine
- Top 50 Public Courses, Readers Choice Awards 2009, Golf World Magazine
- Top 50 Courses for Women by Golf For Women Magazine 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
- #1 course in the state, Golf Week Magazine
- Hosted the 2007 Indiana State Open Championship
- Best place to take out-of-towners, Indianapolis Monthly Magazine
- Top 10 courses in the state of Indiana, Golf Digest
- Best new golf course, Indianapolis Business Journal
- Best of the Best, Best Value (under $70), Golf For Women Magazine
- Indiana's Best Golf, readers pick Purgatory as one of their favorite 18 courses, Indiana Business Magazine
- Top 25 courses in the Midwest, Great Lakes Golf Magazine
- ADDY award, 1999 American Advertising Awards, Visual/Audio Elements - Logo/Trademark Design